Over the past decade, nearshore development has become a popular trend in software development. What is the definition of nearshore? Why it spreads so quickly worldwide? What are the advantages of adopting nearshore technology? What makes it different from offshore development? Let us find out in this article.
Definition of the specialist profiles
After defining the technologies and what workflow practices to use, ensure to develop a technological profile for the various specialists that the project needs. This is one of the essential ways to let you have a clear understanding of the right team structure and staff that you need.
Set your schedule
Discuss the timeline within your team. In most cases, this may be subject to change and established after setting the right project team. Create a high-level estimation of the calendar of completion dates and expected project milestones. An effective project development won’t work as planned unless you have well-defined timelines, objectives, and outcomes.
Working efficiently with a nearshore team
When the workflow practices, technologies, schedule, objectives, targets are clearly defined, you can take on the planned methodology. By this time, you know who are part of your team, their skillset, and personalities. However, never forget that you are dealing with different individuals.
Despite the cultural differences and affordability of your hired team based on your own country’s budget, keep in mind that you are working with people and experts who are assigned to do real work. Although you don’t see them physically, they are vital members of the team willing to help in developing your product and contribute to meet your company’s goals and objectives. Communicate often with your team leader and members how things are doing to know if there are challenges that they are facing. Explain to them clearly your vision, ideas, and goals. Recruit contractors who share the same vision as what you have.
In completing the creation of your nearshore product development team, what you need to do is building a test-review-implement cycle that employs best for you and the project itself. As suggested, the cycle consists of three phases, where each of them is focused on the project task while ensuring the consistent project flow.
Essentially, you do not want to work with your team using only one code while the nearshore development team takes on another code. Through continuous integration and automation of a software development project, the best approach is to work with a nearshore product development team by automating the most basic operations. Generally, this is held using tools and practices for collaboration.
By ensuring that the project has a timeline when moving forward, you can plan well the deployment and testing approaches. This provides a seamless workflow and saves your available resources. By undertaking proper testing, this prevents any bugs, reviews the provided solution, and checks if it is well implemented in the overall project. After doing so, you can do the process all over again as needed. Don’t forget to collaborate with your nearshore team and assist them in whatever way you can.
Implement the necessary changes to ensure workflow consistency, especially upon hiring a nearshore development team for the first time. Currently, what you need to do now is work closely on the project with your newly created nearshore development team.
Pros and cons of nearshore outsourcing
Among the advantages of hiring a nearshore outsourcing firm are the following:
- Stability of the economic and political situation of employed nearshore development companies, as compared with best Asian offshore centers. The stable GDP growth is a vital component that should be noted when seeking external contractors.
- Minimal or little cultural discrepancies. Neighboring countries usually are known to have the same geographical and cultural similarities with regard to the contracting company’s values, philosophy, working attitude, and organizational structure.
- Open-line communication. The cultural background has an essential role in achieving enhanced communication. However, language acumen is another factor to consider in the collaboration. Some specialists in popular nearshore firms can speak other languages aside from English that can be very helpful for the client.
- Proximity in geography or the same time zone eases in making video calls, online meetings or visits to the client’s onsite. It’s important in software development that methodologies and frameworks are strictly implemented such as Scrum, which requires regular communication to administer daily standups, sprint planning, and project reviews.
- Accessibility to international IT workers. Skilled professionals have a diverse background and expertise as they bring the most innovative technologies.
- Compliance with the country’s legislation. Contracting a nearshore outsourcing company in a neighboring country assures software compliance with the legal requirements like GDPR, copyright, and intellectual property laws. Today, data security is one of the main concerns, including outsourcing to another company with familiarity with the challenges and has expertise in adapting the software to corporate and legal requirements with the right solutions.
In terms of disadvantages of nearshore outsourcing, it is more expensive compared to local offshoring services. At times, nearshore development firms may encounter the scarcity of IT specialists within the local job market brought by emigration and inadequate workforce that could provide the needed human resource demands. This can pose a serious setback that could significantly limit the nearshore possibilities.